Saturday, June 18, 2016

Spring To Summer


I started my summer vacation a few weeks early this year.  Usually reserved for mid-July,  I started in early June.  We went to the John Hartford Memorial Festival in Bean Blossom, Indiana the first week of the month.  What an awesome collection of people and music!

I came home to a fishing trip with my friend John.  We caught one to three pound bass from a private lake like I'd never caught fish before.  It was a total blast!


Moving my vacation up in the calendar has put me in a good spot to really keep ahead of our garden. That is a first for us.  It's normally a catch up game by July and the weeds have usually won.




My second year of keeping bees has been a real learning experience.  Last year I didn't harvest any honey from my two packaged bee start-ups.  I'm fairly certain that that was a good decision considering the original two colonies and the splits and new hives we now have.

I've started building all my woodenware.  That has cut my costs way down and I feel like I can expand to around eight total hives.  That would be about as large an apiary as I would care to manage.  There is so much more I have to learn about trying to keep up with the bees.

Yesterday I pulled a few frames from the medium supers and ended up with a little over one and a half gallons of very dark, buttery rich honey.




2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a mess of fish and honey. Looking good.

    k-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a blast that weekend. I'd never had fish bite like they did for us the whole trip.

    ReplyDelete